Thursday, December 31, 2009

Baby powder or Diper rash cream?

I was changing my God daughter last night (my official God mother duty when Im around) shes 8 days old, and she had a really bad diper rash. We have been putting cream on it constantly and changing her diper often it only seems to worsen. Another one of the mothers there last night said not to put the rash cream on when it gets bad, and to use baby powder to absorb the moisture thats causing the irritation. I did what she told me because it sounded logical, but I wanted to see what people had to say.





new mothers, is she right about the baby powder or should we continue to apply the cream?Baby powder or Diper rash cream?
Don't use baby powder it will cut into skin , buy baby powder that has corn starch in it. buy some butt paste ,very good . Also when my daughter gets a bad diaper rash i soak her in corn starch and oatmeal bath. She probably has a lot of yeast built up , might wont to call her doctor .Baby powder or Diper rash cream?
Stop using the nappy rash cream as the zinc can also make baby irritated and using the nappy rash powder isn't such a good idea on such a young baby as it can cause her pores to clog instead of breathing.


I use Lucas' Papaw Ointment, it comes in either tube form or a jar and is a tad smelly but it works wonders!


My 10 week old had awful nappy rash in the first couple of weeks and using the pawpaw ointment cleared it straightway. I've also used the same stuff on my two older children.


You can buy it from all good chemists.
The best thing is to let the baby go ' au natural' for as long as possible. Several times a day diaperless to let the air in. Our pediatrician told us that the only thing that works is air, and vaseline, as it acts as a barrier. Always dry the area well before putting on the vaseline, or any other cream. Vaseline has worked the best for us.
powder is def bad for baby's lungs, maybe the cream is not suiting your baby sometimes zincoxide creams don't but you should still see a doctor


sometimes changing a diaper company also works,


it happened with my daughter the rash just wouldn't go away there was also swelling but I changed the diaper company and within a few days there was major dfference
Don't use the liquid baby powder or any cream that has zinc in it (usually white).





How about letting baby have a little naked time for some air to get to the rash. Then apply some a%26amp;d vitamin ointment.





If not better soon; the doc can prescribe an ointment that will clear it up in a day or 2.
sounds like it could be a yeast infection. you should use a baby wash cloth with warm water to wipe her (wipes will irritate it further) and call the peditrician for a prescription for nystatin (they might want to see her since she's so young.) a lot of moms say you can use over the counter anti fungals like monistat, but i personally wouldn't on a newborn. use plain vaseline or like A%26amp;D ointment until you can get her to the doctor. baby powder will make it worse. i know from experience!
Actually, with a severe diaper rash in an eight day old baby, she should be taken to the doctors. If it's a yeast or fungal infection, neither the cream or powder will help.
I heard that powder is bad for babies lungs. Not sure if that is true or not. I just use a diaper cream. Try switching brands if the rash doesn't go away.
I would continue to use the cream because they say not to use baby powder because babies can breathe the powder in and can cause breathing problems!
you can buy the liquid baby powder so the baby don't breath it in.
I've always used Butt Paste. I'd call the pediatrician though %26amp; see what they say.
My pediatrician always told me never to use powder with girls because the powder will get cakey when it gets wet and can give her a yeast infection so I NEVER used powder for that fear alone. I used Desitin, A%26amp;D, or Butt Paste and they all worked really well. When she first got a REALLY bad diaper rash, I took her to the pediatrician because nothing was working and I had the fear of powder. So they gave me some samples of stronger ointments which worked in a snap and they gave me so many that if it happened again, I had extras (which it only happened a couple more times and then stopped coming back finally).





So that's my suggestion from my own experience, take her to the pediatrician and see she can get some prescription strength stuff to help take it down a few notches. All pediatricians are different so her's might suggest the powder approach first...like I said, I went by what I was told and was too scared to risk a yeast infection LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment