Thursday, December 31, 2009

Is it safe to use diaper rash cream on baby?

I used the Desitin diaper rash cream on my son because I noticed a little bit of a rash occurring. The rest of the night that I changed his diaper I left the cream on there (however, I wiped lightly over it with a baby wipe) when I changed him...The next morning I noticed that the area was really red and peeling. OUCH! I felt to horrible...is this just a bad reaction to the cream or is it because I should have wiped it off and put new cream on every changing??? Or is this something that is common when using this cream?Is it safe to use diaper rash cream on baby?
I think you should wipe it off and put new stuff on everytime.


What really works the best though, is to just give him a bath and than let him hang out without a diaper on so it can air out.


If he isn't crawling yet, it works well to lay a big garbage bag on the floor with a blanket over the top of it. Make sure to lay him on his belly to avoid the sprinkler affect. ;)


It really does do wonders.. Good luck!Is it safe to use diaper rash cream on baby?
Uh, you should wipe off the old stuff with every change and apply new stuff, it will work REALLY well if you do that. Also, for when your baby is sleeping through the night, apply the Desitin that is in the purple tube, it is thicker than the one in the blue tube, better for overnight protection, but I always used the blue only during the day unless she had a bad rash in which case I would use the purple one. But yeah, just wipe off the old cream EVERYTIME and apply new cream.
If it got that bad that fast he's probably allergic to the desitin, I always used Dr. Smiths on my boys and it was great. And I don't know if it's a good idea to try it now if he possibly is having an allergic reaction to the cream but in the case of just a regular diaper rash plain old vaseline works great.
i always just put on new cream each time but then again my daughter only ever had diaper rash maybe 5 times in two years.. seemingly always when my MIL watched her but thats a whole other story. Anywho, when she had the rash I would always wipe clean each time and apply more.. I noticed it would take about 36 hours to go away usually. Try putting some of the cream on your child's back or somewhere where you can monitor it for a reaction.
I heard the zinc in diaper rash cream isnt great, I dont use desitin because of that. Thats just me though some call me an over protective-paranoid mommy but I cant be anything else!





I use A%26amp;D without zinc, and only if he has a rash. i'll use it after ALMOST every change then the next day his rash is gone.





You could try A%26amp; D but if hes his rash gets worse then i would just get a quick visit to his doctor. Make sure when you put his diaper back on his skin is dry. Air dry or i seen my mom use a hair dryer on the ';Cool'; mode when my baby brother had a bad rash. It all works!
None of the creams ever worked on my children. The best thing I ever found was cornstarch powder. If you have a rash that just will not go away it may be a yeast infection which is fairly common. If you have a rash that seems to be getting worse no matter what you do you might get some yeast infection cream and try that. Get the kind for the seven day treatments as it is less harsh.
I always wipe it off and reapply. Really, if you're not wiping it off then you're not getting his bottom completely clean.





It could be an allergic reaction. Have you ever used it before? Did it produce the same results then? Whatever the case may be you probably want to hold off on using it. Just keep the area clean and dry to see if that helps clear it up.
You should have wiped off the old and applied new each time. BUT I don't think that would have caused a worse rash...maybe just not stopped what was already occurring...or it may be an allergic reaction.





Peeling? Ouch! That may need a call to the pediatrician.





You could possibly try a different diaper rash cream. We used Butt Paste in the beginning because she had such sensitive skin in the beginning.
i use it pretty much every time and my daughter hasn't had diaper rash once yet. i have heard people leaving the cream on ONLY when diaper rash is extremely bad and kinda only lightly patting the area in between changings, but otherwise, i would just clean it well each time.
I use cream at every changing. Just habit I guess. You need to wipe it ALL off. It still has traces of urine and fecal matter in the cream that needs to be removed. You can use A%26amp;D Ointment to clear up the peeling and redness, then go back to using the diaper rash cream.
poor little guy.








you should definatly change the cream each time you change the diaper ..








hmm .. read the desitin tubes directions though ..





maybe it's not such a good idea to put it on again till it gets a little better, let him go bare for awhile if you have to






use corn starch it works much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment