Thursday, December 31, 2009

Is there a cream you can apply AFTER being exposed to poison ivy that will prevent the rash? Heard an ad once.

A few years back I heard an ad on Paul Harvey's radio show for this cream, but I can't remember the name, although I think it may have started with a ';Z';. I haven't been able to find it in any stores and am wondering if anyone knows if this product is still available and if it really works.Is there a cream you can apply AFTER being exposed to poison ivy that will prevent the rash? Heard an ad once.
I've used calamine lotion. you can get it so it is clear and not pink. That way you don't look all spotted. Also benedryl cream and pills they are really good for allergys.Is there a cream you can apply AFTER being exposed to poison ivy that will prevent the rash? Heard an ad once.
I don't know which one Paul Harvey was referring to, but my experience is this:


One with a corticosteroid in it...


My son exposed himself to p.i. last week, and within 24 hours was swollen so bad that his little eyes were almost shut, puffy and itchy....bless his heart, he was just trying to chop it down! (He has Down's Syndrome) I took him to the doctor, he was given a shot, and a script for steroids (for a period of 5 days) and then the doc told me to get any cream over the counter with a corticosteroid in it.





I hope this is helpful to you. Oh, and when you bathe, don't use soap for the first few days on the affected areas, as most soaps have a base in them that only helps to spread the itch. When one is first exposed to poison ivy the very best remedy is to wash all areas with plain water, as it neutralizes the poison. Then throw the clothes straight into the washer, (I do use laundry soap at that point) and then get into the shower, rinse off all over. Throw every towel you use into the washer straight away! I may be a freak about p.i., but only for a very good reason! lol
After exsposure, you can apply Benedryl cream and take Benedryl tablets to ease the pain and itching. There is a cream on the market that is sold over the counter. If you have contacted the plant or inhaled the fumes of burning the stuff you can apply the above cream or hydrocortizone. It is a anti-itch cream. Good Luck!
I've never heard of that. But i have had luck with dawn dishwashing liquid rinsed with cold water(keeps the pores closed, so that the oils don't get into them.) I am highly resistant to poison ivy, so this may not work for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment